Pepper Spary is an aerosol based on stored pressure which when actuated releases irritants to cause discomfort to the one it is sparayed at. Pepper spary provides an effective tools of self defence, which temporarily incapacitates an assilant & gives the user an opportunity to escape and survive.
Need to know
Before picking up a pepper spray, find out as to how many SHU's (Scoville Heat Unit) or the %age of OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) it contains. Most sprays are rated from 500,000 to 2000,000 SHU's , a spray rated closer to 2000,000 SHU's or more would be more effective & a sure 'stopper'. Out of foam , stream or cone type, go in for 'cone' as it has more dispersal properties & hence more effective.
- Keep it handy & easy to retreive
- Warn the assailant, he may shun his intents & escape
- Aim at the assilants face & spray short bursts for more coverage
- Be careful as the spray may get into your eyes or face too, with the wind.
- As the assialnt gets effected, pained and blinded , try & escape from the site
- Aim to escape not punish
- Upto 5 minutes - assailant is unable to see clearly
- Upto 15 minutes - unable to open eyes completely with burning sensation on the skin
- Upto 30 minutes - can open his eyes but his skin would still feel irritated
- After 60 minutes - post washing, the assailant returns to normal but is still not 100% ok
It is safe, easy, yet an effective tool of self defence but needs little knowledge & practice to use it effectively. So go ahead & grab one for you, who kows when you might need it!
Till next time ....................stay safe !!